Saturday, March 13, 2010

A year?





I can't believe it's been a year since I have updated.

In August, we moved into my in-laws upstairs (400sq that consists of a bedroom with bathroom, closet and another "office" area.) This is our new home. We were renting 1500 sq ft from my parents but they ended up foreclosing and we weren't ready to buy yet. We have to use our taxes to prove our income and we needed to wait til 2010. So, Stephen's mom and step dad graciously accepted us into their 2500 sq ft home, where we share their kitchen and laundry.

At first, it was really hard. I was 5 months pregnant and it was quite depressing. I felt like we would never be our own entity but at the same time was grateful we weren't forking away money for a rental and could pay the inlaws half of what we would have to pay in rent. I ended up delivering Luella in the downstairs bathtub (our bathroom doesn't have a tub) and am really becoming quite grateful for this season of our life. This could have destroyed our marriage. Our bedroom (175 sq ft) also acted as the Rhyne living room, office for Rhyne Design and play area for the boys, since their attached bedroom is so small. I won't lie, finances are TIGHT. With Stephen trying to launch his new program, he spends 90% of his time building and working on it and has little time to do jobs that pay NOW. I want more than anything for Stephen to achieve his dream and have a job he loves and have his reward equal his effort. And it is hard on a marriage to have barely any privacy and be confined to such tight quarters, in addition to be tight on funds, barely making ends meet. There were a lot of fights, tears, and feelings of failure in the beginning of our time at the in laws. But we quickly learned how to compromise for each other and put each other first, living here has really strengthened our marriage.
(Above the boys playing in the walk in closet)

But doing the wise thing is really lame sometimes. I tell Stephen all the time "I really love my life". And someone from the outside would say "What? How?" We don't live here because we "suck", we live here because we have vision and to accomplish that vision, we have to sacrifice.
(The boy's Room.. I built the Mickey Mouse Toddler size bunk bed)

And now that we are in the process of buying, I'm sad to leave. I really love my in-laws and have a new found deeper love for them, for who they are and what they do. Also, I do NOT want a big house. I love how small quarters has brought our family so close. I want my children to share a room (not that we can afford a room for everyone anyway) but I want my kids to be friends, best friends.

No comments: