Friday, August 6, 2010

Doilie Drop Cloth Curtains DIY

In our old 1916 house, we have high ceilings. Ok, they aren't that high but that extra 6" does make them seem higher at 8'-6".  I wanted floor to ceiling curtains.  The fabric I want runs for $40 / yard. 

(that's NOT it but pretty close to the pattern and color)
I would need 6 yards ($240) plus the black out lining $5 / yard ($30) which will grand total my dream curtains for $300 with tax and everything.
So I bought a 6' x 9' drop cloth from the paint section at Walmart for $10. 
Ordered some paper doilies 4" and 12" ($10)

I cut out the numbers from the 12" then I did a practice run with white spray paint ($8). LOVE the WHITE
Figured out my layout.


But the drop cloth is about 2 shades lighter than the pizza box, and the white wasn't showing up, so I had to go with black. (wasted the $8 for white) and went back to the store and bought 4 cans of the BLACK bbq and stove paint (super durable and DARK) $20
 Still cool.
Love the numbers

1916 (year the house was built)
I like it.  Then I cut it in half and sealed the edges with some polyurethane.

And since a free sewing machine hasn't showed up on my beloved craigslist yet, I duct taped the back for the curtain. And cut curtain slips with my Cutco Super Shears!
$50
And there you have it.

8 comments:

Cara said...

Wow! Those look so awesome! You are one SERIOUSLY talented lady :)

Tammy @ tinselshop.com said...

I just came by via ROOM TO INSPIRE. Your curtains are AMAZING!!! Thanks for sharing this project, you have inspired me!

Best wishes,
Tammy

Room to Inspire said...

What a super creative idea! I would have never thought of using doilies or cutting out numbers! Thanks so much for linking up to Be Inspired today!

Chelsea

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

well done! I like how they also tell a story...

...Stop over to enter my giveaway!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Wow now that is creativity! What a great project - and I love the black.

Anonymous said...

I love them!

Anonymous said...

I love your ingenuity!
I love your daring.
Awesome!

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

Clever idea! I can see this in lots of different colors and patterns!