Monday, August 9, 2010

Ripped out the Front Porch

On Saturday I got a wild idea (ok, not so wild). But while the kids were sleeping, I decided I would rip the railings off the front porch.  Literally, I could just hang on them from the ground and they would wiggle right off. But my neighbor saw me doing that and brought over a sledge hammer.  I love my neighbors.  So, off went the railings!

The kids continued to sleep through all the banging right outside their playroom window. I thought I would just alter the deck a little, make it smaller, move the stairs, paint it... but...

.....then we peeked under the deck and realized the deck was rotten. And it was Stephen's idea to just 'off' the whole porch. The decking literally just came right up, the rot was so bad.

So, we are without our front porch... til next weekend at least. We now just have the stairs right to the front door.  Can we say "muddy". But  I'm excited to get it built.


And of course some "Dream Time"

I won't be building the room yet, just the porch because it was definitely not a "planned expense". But I think I can get a 7' x 10' deck finished for $500... or so I'm hoping. I'll keep you updated!

5 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh I can't wait to see what you do. I know it will be gorgeous. Love your inspiration photos. Hugs, Marty

michaela said...

Oh I love it!!! We want to extend our back deck but that will be a ways away. I would also love to rip off the front porch but that may never happen before we sell.

You have done a great job so far!!!

Unknown said...

wow!are you daring- love your ideas and inspirations!

karen

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! Don't you just hate when that happens. You plan on something simple, and BAM... surprise! Glad to hear it's all going to work out and you'll get your new porch. Love your inspirational photos. That one with the billowy white curtains is dreamy!
~ Jo :)

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! Don't you just hate when that happens. You plan on something simple, and BAM... surprise! Glad to hear it's all going to work out and you'll get your new porch. Love your inspirational photos. That one with the billowy white curtains is dreamy!
~ Jo :)