Monday, October 4, 2010

Smitten Restaurant Booth

We have been "making do" with my parents table, it was tight and wobbly.  I didn't like it at all, but it worked. 

I consider myself a faithful customer to Second Use. Ok, maybe a bit more than "faithful", probably more like Stalking customer. Anyway, every morning I log onto their site and check for newly listed items and Ooooo and Awhhh over them.  But last week, I had to dive in.  At $95, I thought it was a steal.  66" x 48" would fit perfectly of where I'd been dreaming about putting a booth.
(the only picture I saw before buying it)
I thought it was brown, ugly 70's brown, but that was ok. I didn't mind.  So I called in and bought it. I was soo excited.  Redeck went and got it the next day, it's an hour drive and we had to borrow my dad's van.  We got it on the back porch and I started to scrub 30 years of nasty away, luckily no smoke smell, just filth.  So I finished scubbing and realized, it's not brown, it's GOLD. LOL. 
 (this shot combines the faux wood countertops, different faux wood tabletop and GOLD seats).
Oh well, ugly is ugly.  But it was so functional.  We ripped out the cabinets and gave those away in a day thanks to my best friend, Craig... Craigslist that is! 

So it looked this way for a week. I couldn't decided if I wanted to pay $200 for vinyl paint and haul the whole thing outside and paint. Granted it's now October in Seattle, which means we have another 8 months of solid rain, and I do not have a garage or carport. 

So I decided to start with a latex primer. I'll do  2 coats. Then 3 coats of the gray / blue you can see over the dishwasher. Then another 3 coats of a flat sealer.  It will probably take me 3-4 weeks because I have to work at nap time and bed time, and in the mean time, it still has to function. 

But as for now..  I am one happy momma!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did not know you could paint that stuff. Good on you! It will be such an improvment from harvest gold.

Lindsay said...

You continue to amaze me with your talent. LOVE IT!

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife said...

I cannot wait to see the finished look!!! What a UNIQUE piece. And it fits in the kitchen so perfectly. Well done!